Hello friends and family, 


I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas and New Years! I know it was probably different for everyone with smaller gatherings and perhaps a little less extravagant than usual. This was the case for me here in Cape Verde. Although it is difficult to spend Christmas away from family, I feel without being away I would not learn as much. Afterall, as one of my friends of the Guatemala team said “there’s no comfort in a growth zone, and no growth in a comfort zone.” This is true and a constant reminder to me as I am away from home. Even still, as Christmas day came and during that day I was being taught that Jesus is enough. He is enough for my comfort and joy and peace. And if Christmas is to be a celebration of Jesus’ birth, then I should not need anyone or anything else. Although this season is normally a time for family and warmth, I have often forgotten that truly this season does not “need” to be grand and filled with so many things. Longing for family was a valid feeling of mine, but I was constantly reminded that Jesus is enough. 

That being said, I did have a good and restful Christmas. The Sunday before Christmas I went to church where I spent most of my time last year. It was sweet to worship with them and even take a family picture with my pastor and his family. On that Tuesday I had a gift exchange with the tias and tios at the preschool ministry that I was really looking forward to too and it was fun and sweet. Then Christmas day I got to see Taylor and Emily’s kids open presents and have a gift exchange with them as well. Christmas this year was sweet and simple and I really enjoyed it. 



In the past week, I have had Portuguese classes, rest, some time with friends and even two opportunities to share the Gospel. First, I was able to share with Claudia, the lady I bought bananas from last year. In Cape Verde, many “banana ladies” as we call them, due to their occupation, sell fruit and other produce along the streets. Claudia sits outside a store my teammates and I used to visit at least once every week. She was always kind, asked about my family, about my day, and I was just blessed by her. The Lord laid it on my heart last weekend that I had a relationship with her, but had not shared the Gospel. So the next time I saw her I went and shared with her. She responded by saying she had accepted Christ as a result of some of the other missionaries I know sharing with her. She also encouraged me when she said her and her friend, Odete, studied the Bible together right there on the street as they  sold produce. I asked if I could come study with them and they said I could. I went back a couple days later and gave Odete (Claudia wasn’t there) a “green book.” We used to hand out these books and lead studies with them in the church ministries. One book has Genesis and the New Testament, the other book has short lessons walking though Creation to The Fall and lessons on how to have a relationship with Christ. I was able to pray with Odete and ask about when they would study together next. I hope to be able to go back and study with them and I am thankful for their faith and desire to study God’s word.  

The second opportunity I had was in my first taxi ride by myself. I got in, a little nervous, but soon Anselmo was asking me about my Christmas. He surprised me when he said Christmas was about our King, Jesus, coming. In a couple minutes he asked me how he could know Christ more. Wow, what a depiction of a “Person of Peace.” I quickly began by saying first you must accept Christ into your life through faith in Him as your Savior and Lord, and then repent of your sins. I continued to say going to church, reading your Bible and praying were the ways we are able to grow in our relationship with God. He told me he always has the desire to go to church, but because of his work, (as a taxi driver) he is usually unable to go. I tried to explain to him that church is not a building, but when other believers are gathered together. When we arrived at my house he gave me his name and number in case I needed a taxi ride. But really, more so, the Lord provided a way for me to get in contact with him. Afterall, getting in contact with a specific taxi driver would be nearly impossible had he not given me his phone number. Before he left, I gave him one of the “green book” Bibles and study books. I hope Taylor and I can reach out to him in the next few days and maybe schedule a time to study with him because he really has that desire. 

I was blown away at those two opportunities and how the Lord has grown my heart to be able to share Him. How he was faithful to provide me with words, understanding of the people I was talking to and the peace to share. I can also see how the Lord is growing my heart. I have struggled so much in the past and even still about my identity in Christ that sharing Him seemed far fetched and really scary. But he provides the faith we need. He is teaching my heart in His perfect timing and asking me to seek him and be obedient. He is gracious to teach us. To set us free from the bondage of our fears. It is quite silly of me to try to measure up somehow to a standard of faith, when really He is the one that grants all faith and growth in my heart. 



Prayer Requests: 

  • That I would continue to seek and serve the Lord everyday. But that I would not measure my service to how full my schedule is or is not. 

  • Prayer for my heart to be prepared to leave for the second time. 


Song Encouragement: 

  • “Hymn of the Ages” and “Promises” by Maverick City Worship 

  • “Home” and “Free Falling” by Dante Bowe


Graca e Paz, 

  Cassidy Green


No comments:

Post a Comment

  Dear Friends and Supporters,    I am so grateful for the prayers and encouragement that you have given to me throughout this Global Year j...