These past couple of weeks have been great!!! We are beginning to have more ministry and are forming more relationships with the people at the churches which makes being here sweet. Last week was not quite as busy or eventful as this week, but this week has been awesome! Last Saturday  my team and I went with Brazilian missionaries (that are here for 15 days) to evangelize in an area called "zone four." Although we did not do much talking, it was cool to see evangelism here and observe the the gospel being introduced to new people. I have loved working with the Brazilians this week. They work very hard and are here to do whatever they can. Although they do not speak Creole, they do speak Portuguese which people understand and most can speak. The rest of this week has been more normal as we are beginning to get involved in ministries here. We worked in Projecto Pepe this week which is our preschool ministry we work in from Tuesday to Friday 8:00-12:00. We have mostly helped manage kids, play with them, and just assist in any way we can but this upcoming week we will begin to have responsibilities like teaching a little bit of English and teaching PE. Tuesday nights we are currently involved in a basketball ministry that I have come to love. I never thought I would like basketball but I really do! We play basketball for a while then have a Bible study in a neighborhood. I have enjoyed basketball even though I have never really played before. It is a new experience but is just fun. Thursday I was involved in a follow-up Bible study in a home in zone four. Again another new experience, but I thought it went very well. People from my church, Pastor Elton, and a girl named Ana and I entered a man's house and discussed sanctification. Pastor Elton and Ana walked through a paper discussing sanctification after becoming a believer. How this is a process we all walk through daily with the Lord. Although the study was in Creole or Portuguese and some of it may have been translated to me, I really loved it. It was also encouraging to be able to pick up some of the language while being there or being able to read some of the devotional paper when Pastor Elton asked me too. Every sentence or few words I can understand during the day is a small victory and I love it! I have enjoyed learning a new language even though it is frustrating at times. Getting back to this week, Friday part of my team and I participated in worship practice for our team. Jess played guitar, Kyle played some piano and Lindsey and I sang. I am excited to be making friends with the people involved in worship and to be involved closely in their worship on Sundays. Saturday, the team and I went to participate in a mini-Olympics where kids came to a home in zone four and we had organized games that corresponded with them learning John 3:16 and the salvation bracelet colors. This ministry was fun, dusty, and left me sunburn. This was one of the main times this week we worked with the missionaries from Brazil which has been a joy this week. Today we went to church, ate lunch, then went to the interior of the island for another church service. The interior of the island is a little over an hour drive but it is beautiful. Although the Island is usually brown, right now it is green because we have had rain making the view today amazing. Church was good, I did not understand the message but that is okay. You can still see the people genuinely worship and see how they interact with each other and us. Their greetings are so warm here with hugs and kisses. One interesting story from today: while in the interior, we entered the home of one of our friend's mom's home where we were offered food. The piece of food I picked up being pig ear. I took a bite, nawed on it, and when they were not looking gave the piece to our friend Michael and put the piece of pig ear in my pocket that I had attempted to eat. We were only in that home for a few minuets, but it was definatley a new experience that I am sure will happen again.  are so many new experiences that I enjoy and of course some that are hard or uncomfortable. It is all a learning experience and I know God will be teaching my team and I how to trust him for faith, patience, and how to trust him for each day as we miss home and are sometimes uncomfortable or stressed. I am excited for this year as I become friends with people here, learn the language and know God will grow me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Dear Friends and Supporters,    I am so grateful for the prayers and encouragement that you have given to me throughout this Global Year j...